A veritable who’s who of non-resident Indians is expected to shine brightest in 2013 in their respective fields of endeavor. The following are just few who will make 2013 their year:
- Shalini Vadhera. This celebrity make-up artist and cosmetics entrepreneur started her fame as make up artists to stars such as Brooke Burke, Cybill Shepherd and many others. From her experience, she started her own cosmetics firm named Global Goddess Beauty and quickly transformed it to a US$21 million dollar a year business. She has previous experience as consultant to beauty brands such as Olay and Revlon and has recently authored a bestseller aptly named “Passport to Beauty.”
- Harjit Singh Saijan. This NRI is the very first Sikh to command a regiment in Canada. He joined the British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own) as a trooper back in 1989 and was elevated to commanding officer by September 2011. His family moved to Canada five years after he was born in Punjab. Before the army enlistment, he was an officer and decorated member of the Vancouver Police Department.
- David Batra. Batra was born of Indian Swedish parentage and began his stand up comedy work back in 1994. From there, he became a nationally renowned Swedish stand-up comedian and national television series actor. He has also appeared in shows in Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish and American television shows. In between sets, he was able to obtain his masters degree in marketing.
- Pratima Dharm. This Delhi born personality moved to the United States a few months prior to the infamous Sept 11 World Trade Center attacks. She then joined the US Army in 2006 and has attained the rank of captain. She was also appointed by the Pentagon as a Chaplain and currently serves as a member of the medical staff at the Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington DC. While she is a Sikh chaplain, her services crosses all faiths regardless of creed.
- Nat Puri. This UK entrepreneur has amassed a net worth estimated at £130 million and is recognized as a Nottingham’s richest person. He arrived as an immigrant to the United Kingdom back in 1966 with a degree in mathematics. This knowledge and skill though was instrumental in establishing the Purico Group, as one of the most successful and diversified private companies. Their shareholdings include industries such as polymers and hospitality services, currently employing 3,000 individuals across the world.
Look forward to these individuals as they blaze the trail in 2013.